nickled & dimed - but good food.
This review applies to the Astoria location only.
1) Valet parking: $10 Paid up front. I'm not a fan of paying before I receive service. This is not like Sienna or every other place that doesn't charge or take tips only. It took too long to get the car when leaving around midnight. Another problem is that if/when you go inside and then change your mind... well, you're $10 out already. If you have a party with 2 cars, you'll be out $20, etc.
2) Plate sharing fee: $10 per person. Really? Yes, an empty plate here will cost you a pretty penny. Whatever happened to courtesy to a group of 5 who already spent a boatload drinks and appetizers while waiting for 2 hours to get a table for dinner?
3) Too loud: I shouldn't have to scream across the dinner table to be heard, or ask the waiter, "Excuse me?" over and over because I can't hear him. I understand the vibe is a club/restaurant, but I was in the dining area when I saw lips move without any sound emanating.
4) After spending $300 between a party of 5, I let the waiter know that it was one of the girls' birthday. He brings out one single mini scoop of ice cream with a candle in it. It wasn't even anything special. These guys will nickle and dime you, and not give anything back.
4) The wait: Don't go hungry! Prepare to wait 2 hours or more, especially on a Saturday night. You can't make a reservation unless you have a party of 8 or more (whack!).
The food. Recommend: Mofongo, sancocho (especially as the weather gets colder), the churrasco, or the oxtail.
FIRST TIME EXPERIENCE. A female friend and myself, felt like getting out of NYC and trying Don Coqui. Being in the entertainment industry, I am a spoiled little metrosexual used to getting my royal butt kissed. I walked in unassuming and I didn't know a soul there. It was Thursday night and it was packed but we only waited 20 minutes to sit down. Being Dominican and a qualified chef, I am very critical on food, preparation, and service. The menu gave us some good selections, the waiter was very attentive, we ordered from the bar through our waiter and were quite pleased. The food was absolutely sensational from appetizer to desert. Just enough time in between meals, the waiters and busboys constantly checked on us, as much as I love critiquing, this was a 5 start night, Chris as a host is so spot on, he can really set the tone in a positive experience. My only critique would be the valet kids, but with a full stomach and such satisfied taste buds, I really shouldn't be a hater, but I'm so good at it!
What a night!
My fiance and i decided to put together a couples night out and we got much more than we bargained for.
We had heard about Don Coqui on several occasions and decided to try it out. When we got there the Valet line was sort of long--which we understood. The parking attendants were really polite and organized.
Once we walked in the home cooked smell was every where. The hostess on the first floor kindly took our coats FOR FREE and directed us upstairs.
Once we got upstairs we were greeted by the sweetest young lady--who we then found out was one of the owners working along side her father Jimmy!
They explained there would be a bit of a wait but encouraged us to enjoy cocktails. We went to the bar, had the most delicious Mojitos and got our photos taken by their in house photographer. AWESOME!
Once we were seated we ordered an appetizer platter that was extremely generous in portions! My fiance had the stuffed lobster, some of our guests had the paella, the shirt steak and the pernil! All were tasty and great!
Jimmy and his daughter sent us over a complimentary round of Coquitos and desserts! And even took our left over bags and checked them for us while we enjoyed the Dj till the wee hours of the morning!
What a night! We will be back and soon with more friends!!
Places like these don't exist anymore. So its that time again - Birthday time - what to do? my wife plans a little get together for my birthday at this new place everyone keeps talking about; Now I know what the talk is about! the food was incredible (portions are huge - prepare to share) The staff really made us feel as if we were part of there family - very attentive, desert was to die for (try the 3 leches) In closing - thank you for making my birthday very memorable - finally Real latin cuisine accompanied by great service - keep up the GREAT work – well worth the drive from central Jersey
A great dining experience.
My boyfriend and I went to Don Coqui as it was recommended by one of our friends. From the outside- since it's in a remote location, you don't know what to expect, but once you walk in you are welcomed by a very friendly staff.
We went on a Wednesday night, and the atmosphere was just perfect- not too loud or too quiet. The food is amazing, serving size is huge, and drinks are small but will sneak up on you.
I loved my experience at Don Coqui and have recommended to my friends. They also have been impressed with the food and service at this restaurant. I am looking forward to dining there again.
By the way, cuisine is Puerto Rican, Latino, etc...not Mexican.
just my opinion. I am not really one to write reviews but this is a neat little website that I just stumbled upon. I was invited to a private corporate party for my husbands job that he retired from a few years ago, great atmosphere, nice waitstaff, but a little snooty. I always loved NYC lofts. Although we did not order off of the menu, I did have a chance to take a look and it seemed a bit over priced. Great for a date!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Don Coqui on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.