136 W 31st St, New York, NY | Directions 1000140.748554 -73.990759
Mon-Wed 11am-10pm; Thu-Sat 11am-11:30pm, Bar Open Till 2am; Sun 11am-10pm
Neighborhoods: Chelsea, Midtown
Nice Decor! – Food and Decor go hand in hand to compliment their customer service!
Beyond Bad – Work nearby so we figured if we're doing a working lunch might as well try this place which had been "renovated" a few months back. Worst idea ever.
We got led in around noon on a Tuesday, restaurant was completely empty, despite the $15 or less lunch special being advertised.
The table we had for six was extremely shaky, so much that if anyone moved a plate around the entire table would rock. On top of that, the heating was most likely off and there was a ghastly draft blowing into the restaurant the entire time.
We ordered some fish, salad, mussels and sandwiches...one thing worse than the other and the chef's idea for "sauce" was to throw marinara on just about everything - even I know better than to do that and I can barely cook!
The food took extremely long to prepare...we waited about an hour just for appetizers and it was 2:00pm when we received our entree, by this time half the people had to go back to work so we got their orders packed (which took another half hour).
All in all: Terrible food, depressing atmosphere and very average service.
Also, there is a scary looking guy always walking in and out like he's closing some mafia deal. Probably the owner but three people on the table noted that and it was kind of unnerving to have him hovering around.
Amazing Lunch – I went her for lunch the other day with some coworkers and we had an amazing time. The staff was so amazing to us and told us the perfect dishes to eat. I will say the fish here out of this world. I loved that it was such a big space you really felt like you had room for your self and friends. I am 100% going to be bringing my clients here more and more.
JUST AWFUL!! Literally the worst dinner experience EVER! – If there was a way to rate this restaurant lower than a 1 start I would.
A recap of our night:
1. Uneven shaking table
2. Had to ask for menus after being at the table for 10 mins
3. No mention of specials or possible sides
4. Tried to order the swordfish only to find out they were out.
5. After placing our order the waiter tried to recap what we had just ordered and messed it up multiple times.
6. Appetizers looked and tasted like they were from Sams Club.
7. Waiter came back to our table to inform us they were also out of ravioli and it would be 45 mins before they had more. Had to reorder again.
8. Reused the same bread for both the bread basket and appetizers.
9. After finishing our appetizers the empty plates, water glasses and wine glasses sat empty for 10-15 mins before we had to ask for them to be cleared and glasses refilled.
10. Had to request another bottle of wine....
11. Food arrives..it was just okay. One of our friends rec'd a plate of pasta in a kiddy bowl. Literally enough food for a child.
12. I think they split a single chicken breast to make my dish and my friends.
13. Three members of our party rec'd mashed sweet potatoes with Salmon and my chicken dish. There was no mention of it on the menu or from our waiter. It tasted awful and I hate sweet potatoes. I would have liked to have the option to request something else.
14. Yes there's more....
15. Requested for our bill and we were using a $100 coupon when we spent $200. Two members of our party ordered swordfish only to have it substituted for salmon. We asked if they price should be adjusted down for the cheaper fish. Waiter says yes of course only to have the owner shoot the idea down and say price is final. Had to pay full price.
16. Last but not least the inside of the restaurant was so cheesy, too dark, and the owner of the place sat at the bar and just watched all the tables. Super creepy.
Please oh please do not go to this restaurant. There are way to many other places in NYC that are dying to provide a great meal and experience.
Worst dinner experience ever. It was laughable.
HORRIBLE AS A NIGHT CLUB!!! – I went out to this place for Halloween, and I cannot explain how BAD it was. First of all, I bought a ticket saying there was an open bar from 10-11, a latin room, a hip hop room, and another room playing the hits. FALSE ADVERTISING... When we got there, they said they "changed their mind" and weren't offering open bar anymore or buy one get one drinks. They only have a CASH BAR and didn't tell anyone. The owner said we could "go to the ATM.. it's not difficult" HOW RUDE!!! You got us to come to your place, under false advertising.. then you don't appologize for it, you don't give us our money back ($20 to get in.. for NOTHING), and you tell us to go out to the ATM, and then rejoin the line to get back in???? Even with the RIDICULOUS cash only bar, it took me 25 minutes to get a drink. NO JOKE!!! I timed it!!!! At $10 a drink, it was SOOOOOOOO not worth the wait. It wasn't even good :(
It's also veryyyyy hot in this place. They only have small fans. There are only two stall in the bathroom. LONG line for the ladies room.
Over all, I will NEVER go back to this place to party... unless they install some cooling, more bathrooms and learn to keep up with the times and get a freakin' credit card machine.
DO NOT go to this place. Maybe it's good as a restaurant, but DON'T PARTY HERE!!!! TRUST ME.... There are WAY better places to go!
THE FOOD WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! – They have a winner with the chef Vincent Tropepe. I ate there the other night with my wife before going to a show at MSG and everything we ate was delicious. I would highly recommend the Frutta Di Mare with homemade black pasta (which I ate) and the lemon pasta with shrimp my wife loved. The Tiramisu is served in a martini glass (big enough to share) and alone is worth a trip to the city. The service was good and the place is very beautiful overall. The bar is very different unlike any I have ever seen, and the bartender made some great drink I forgot the name of. I would definitely recommend you check this place out.
Great night Great Food! – Had a fantastic dinner. From appetizer to espresso the night was delicious. I would stop by anytime I was in the neighborhood. Ambiance is great, the help is attractive and the bathroom was spotless. I am very excited to see where this place goes as it grows.
Amazing Amazing... love the celebrity chef!!! – Ok so i eat there for lunch, the sandwich was amazing! nothing else needed to say, it was big, tasty and had quite the display!
then the day after i decided to stop by for dinner and met the chef Vincent Tropepe, a celebrity chef and he made me this tomato linguini with an ala vodka sauce and bacon wrapped scallops and i couldnt stop eating!!! i felt like a pig and i definitely gained a few pounds!!!! and the price is god damn reasonable for the quality of food they serve!!! i love this place, and the party room was definitely cool! gives me ideas for dates!
they are having a grand opening event this weekend friday and saturday! stopping by myself, you should all be stopping by!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Epoca on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.