“Basically they just posted false apartment listings to lure people in and then take them to other "equally good" apartments.”
“We then went to Manhattan Apartments, Inc., and the first two apartments they showed us were exactly what we were looking for, and at a good price!”
DO NOT USE THIS FIRM. I am six weeks
into the process of getting a refund for an apartment we could not rent, because they "bait and switched" it. I have been to the president and he has assured me "they will do the right thing". So far, the right thing has been to claim that the "landlord has the money". Hmmm, how is that my problem.
You are warned.
Manhattan Apartments Inc. is a scam. Don't go!.
I gave one star because it wouldn't allow me to publish a 0 star review. I would like to run down a list of events that have led up to this complaint so that you are aware of every issue surrounding it.
1. Looked at apartments with Bruno Boudjemai's assistant, Monty, on 03/26/12. Applied for an apartment that day. My rental application was rejected on 03/28.
2. On either 03/28 or 03/29 (according to my mobile phone record), I verbally requested to Bruno that my deposit be refunded. Bruno did not get back to me re: this issue.
3. I emailed rentals@manapts on 04/07/12. The email is as follows:
"I would like my full $2000.00 deposit refunded. My rental application was rejected by the prospective building's management company. It was withdrawn from my checking account on 03/26/12. Please contact me ASAP to resolve this issue."
Received a response from Melanie, the weekend manager the same day stating that someone would follow up with me. No one followed up with me.
4. Sent another email, this time to both Bruno & the rentals department, 11 days later, on 04/18 and received a response 2 days later from Bruno. We corresponded that I would pick up my refund 05/15. My schedule changed and I later emailed and called Bruno stating I would be in 05/14 to pick up my refund check.
5. Upon arriving on 05/14, I received a refund check for $1925.00. When I inquired with Bruno directly why I wasn't receiving the full refund, as discussed (and specified in the emails), his answer was, "Did I ever tell you that you were going to get $2000.00 back?" He then said that unless I could prove that my credit check was not paid out of the good faith security deposit, I wouldn't receive the other $75.00 I was still owed. Bruno and I NEVER discussed deducting the credit check fee from the security deposit, but all of the sudden I'm told that we did and because I didn't have any paperwork on me to prove that I didn't! He also stated that he had no paperwork showing that my credit check fee was not paid out of the good faith deposit. We both signed and have copies of a contract that states that I paid $2000.00 for the security deposit as well as an additional $75.00 for the credit check fee. Again, I would just like to say that never(!) during any of our conversations did he mention not refunding my entire deposit!
6. I had to go back to Brooklyn(!), find the contract that we BOTH signed and had copies of, and return to midtown to prove that I paid a total of $2075.00 ($75.00 of which I was already fully aware was a non-refundable credit check fee), in order to prove to Manhattan Apartments that I was still owed $75.00 Where was his copy? It's the professional obligation for the broker to keep signed contracts.
7. After all of this, Bruno decided to take $75.00 out of his wallet(!), to pay the $75.00 owed to me. I was asked, "What happened to the $75.00?!". Why would I know?!?! It is NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY to keep track of this!
8. The only way he would speak to me is if I confronted him, and not once did he attempt to correct the problem until then. He has not apologized or even acknowledged that he has done anything wrong. I asked the receptionist to call him and tell him that I wanted to speak to him and that I was in the waiting area when he was done with his current appointment, but he was too "swamped" to deal with this issue that he had created. He avoided me the entire time I was at the office.
Bruno Boudjemai is unprofessional and untrustworthy. He intentionally did not refund $75.00 owed to me until confronted with the paperwork. He has not apologized nor made an attempt to apologize for this error.
you never get over age discrimination/ Michael Halpert vs ma.
you never get over age discrimination expect Broken government false sense of security the congress wrote broken laws for human rights to where you will never be able to find justice. if you look at how we the divided states of America preach human rights to other but we really don't have any ourselves. our labor rights that we gained in the past 30 years will be roll back to equal china S laborer exploitations & abuses so get use to American workers pay rates to equal to Chinas workers pay. your elected officials have sold us out to the lowest bidders with unenforceable laws in our country to where the American workers are devaluated to worthless & you have no rights & are just called a bunch wieners .see federal laws of civil procedures & see how you can make sense of nonsense. don't look to the state human rights commission or the EEOC for help as they can give you any justice on a shoestring budget agents the wealth big corporations. my case is ongoing from 2001 As I fight for my self because all the government agency's are broken & have no money & don't think you will ever see your retirement pension plan pay you as they are all under funded & waiting for government to allow the big corps to terminate see story first black Alabama firefighter of 30 yrs. cant get his . see Michael Halpert vs manhattan apartments inc. win on appeal only to be trashed by the same judge that dismissed it before so i cant expect any justice . the global market dictates that if you are a living American worker just trying to feed your family you will die a poor unemployed former American worker.
if you lie cheat & steal & don't get caught you are an American icon celebrity & if you do get caught your an American here row & you will get a book deal & tv show .
mike 646 3296160 mikethejeweler@aol
STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIRM!!.
This company is the lowest of the low.
They use "bait and switch" tactics - getting you in the door with a photo of an apartment that has already been rented or that they don't even have, the agents are rude, just a bad company.
Did some research on the company and found out that they are being sued by their own accountants, and are in danger of losing their real estate licensing.
Pass this company by if you know what's good for you.
Not worth the timee.
I had seen several apartments already before I walked into Manhattan Apartments' office and had a good idea of what I could get and at what price range.
When i told them my search criteria, I was immediately told that what I wanted was impossible and quoted that a more realistic price was 15% higher than what I knew the fair market rate was (come on people, we're in a depression - you can't get away with such outrageous charges any more).
I then pulled out several Craigslist advertisements they had placed. Just as others here have mentioned, they use the classic bait-and-switch method, claiming that the apartments they had advertised already "had applications in". Basically they just posted false apartment listings to lure people in and then take them to other "equally good" apartments. Unfortunately, not only was I not taken to any apartments in the area I was looking at, the apartments that were shown to me were complete dumps for the price range I had set.
Don't waste your time here. They will quote you exceptionally high prices for terrible apartments. Plus the brokers were very rude and pushy.
Fast Placement Because They Will Never Be Useful Again.
We went to Manhattan Apartments Inc. because they made it sound like they were honest, hard working people. It turns out that the show up to every appointment late, make false claims that they will deny later, and have the worst customer service imaginable; among other things. Even though we informed them this was our first time renting an apartment they have done nothing to help us understand the process or get situated. (Funny, I thought that's why we were paying them.) Every time we turn around there is some new charge they 'forgot' to tell us about or 'thought they had mentioned'.
They get you in an apartment fast so they can drop you faster. Once they get your money they are gone.
Do yourself a favor and don't bother.
HELPFUL AND FAST.
I too wasted days with other agencies that claimed they had the most listings out of anyone in the city. The apartments they showed me were way over my budget and not in the area's I wanted. When I asker why they were showing them to me they said that I couldn't find anything in my budget in the neighborhood i wanted. I felt intense pressure to sign for one that I didn't want because my move-in deadline was approaching quickly.
A friend suggested Manhattan Apartments, so I went. I was introduced to an Agent who listened to my needs and was able to come up with a few apartments she thought i would like. Grudgingly I went to see them. I couldn't be happier. I got a great apartment in the area I wanted, and she guided me through all the paperwork . I was able to move in three days later!!
Thank You Manhattan Apartments!!
Lots of attitude, no service. Utterly annoying. Renting an apartment in NYC is hard enough as it is. But Manhattan Apartments Inc must take the award for the worst service around. You can see the *constant* and *repetitive* posts on Craigslist. Unfortunately, they're all bait-and-switch. You call, they drag you into their offices to sign their papers, then tell you "that particular apartment was rented out already. However, we have something better... bla bla bla...". I spent hours with these people, and unfortunately, all they give you is attitude, a bad headache. They're a waste of time. Unfortunately, it's hard to get these people regulated, but for starters, I know for sure I avoid them like the plague. Having said that, I'm sure they might have one or two brokers (or agents, rather) who are really good. Just get recommendations from your friends. If you call up at random, you'll probably end up with the worst of their agents! Good luck apartment hunting in the city...
Lots of Attitude, No Personal Service.
I went here off a lead from craigslist, which ended up not being available. Big surprise. They made me wait 30 minutes before I could meet with anyone. I was supposed to meet with Andrew, who passed me off to another agent and didn't even appear. The agent I met with didn't listen to me at all and listed apartments WAY out of the price range I told her, disappeared every 5 minutes during our meeting to go to the bathroom not to mention that she was very aloof and unaware of what was going on. I told her I'd only have 45 minutes to an hour MAX that evening to see apartments, but of course she didn't listen and scheduled for me to see 3-4 apartments that were each at least a 15-20 min walk away from each other, not to mention the 25 minute subway ride on the way up. Worst of all, ANOTHER employee took me to see these apartments, and when I told her about my time constraint, she gave me attitude about it. I couldn't believe how rude everyone was being so I left after I saw the first apartment.
I got at least three followup phone calls even after I told someone during the first phone call that I wasn't interested in working with them - the agent herself who didn't listen to me called me saying she didn't understand why I wasn't happy because she'd been doing this for 10 years with many happy clients. Well she lost me because I couldn't put up with the bs they put me through. There's thousands of agents in the city, I don't have to work with someone who will make me feel like an idiot.
The best by far for NYC apartments. We wasted 2 full days with another (highly rated and big) company seeing nothing but crummy apartments and being repeatedly misled by their agent who insisted that theirs was the most comprehensive list of apartments and that everything available was on it. When we liked nothing she showed us, she insisted that no other company could show us anything else -- that she had shown us everything available in our preferred neighborhoods. We then went to Manhattan Apartments, Inc., and the first two apartments they showed us were exactly what we were looking for, and at a good price! We took the first one, and would have been equally thrilled with the second. Their staff is friendly, helpful, efficient and very competent. We worked with agents Dean Dunbar and Terry Cade. They are the tops!This is THE company to use if you are looking for an apartment in NYC.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Manhattan Apartments, Inc. on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.