Not one, but two acting legends, lend their names to this Broadway playhouse..
The marquee of this theater originally faced Broadway when it opened in 1913 as the Globe Theatre. It was refurbished and renamed the Lunt-Fontanne in 1958, honoring the distinguished theatrical couple Lynn Fontanne and Alfred Lunt. In 1959, "The Sound of Music" began its very popular run in this house. Cab Calloway, Marlene Dietrich, Peggy Lee, and Carol Channing all performed on this stage.