88 Fulton St, New York, NY | Directions 1003840.709235 -74.005910
Mon- Fri 11AM to 11PM ; Sat - Sun 9AM to 11PM
Neighborhoods: Downtown, Financial District, Financial District (Wall Street)
Loving this place – Loved it. I've heard many good things about this place and wanted to try it for myself. I went with my husband and we've decided that we're going back once a month as a relaxing "date night". It's incredibly relaxing and a great way to start (or end) a weekend.
The best place to relax – As I've traveled all over the world, I've sought out hot springs and spas and this one gets one of my highest scores for innovative, clean, fun, imaginative and relaxing. There are many different hot rooms to visit of various types, styles, and heat, each with its own atmosphere. It's a perfect place to relax at the end of a hard week and feel rejuvenated.
It's first stop for me on my next visit to New York!
Very relaxing – The most relaxing place I've ever been in my entire life. Spa 88 gives you various saunas with different themes and temperatures which affect the body in different positive ways. If life has you stressed out and your body is tense then this is the place for you.
Best massage I ever had – A friend of mine recommended I go to this spa and I have to say it was a unique experience. The message was beautiful; oiled the body; washed the hair; beat with small bushes in the steam room. You have to experience a Russian Bath once in your life and Spa 88 is just the place you can do that. This was an enjoyable experience.
This place is awful – Dirty and rundown. Plus don't expect to get any type of customer service here. As you can see the owner is off his rocker.
Rip-off, do not go here – If I could put zero stars I would. This spa would not honor a Travel Zoo coupon that clearly stated you could have lunch and spa admission. Spoke to staff and owner and they said no lunch honored and that it's my problem and to call Travel Zoo to get a refund. Do NOT go here, you will be treated poorly and will get ripped off. Horrible business.
RED FLAG – Below are some of the responses from manager Dmitry L. of Spa 88 to customers. Don't believe me? Go to Yelp. You decide.
1) If you you live in the city, where prices are a little higher than in Brooklyn, you should move to Brooklyn and enjoy that banya where people jump in the pool situated right in the middle of the dining tables and water splashes in your food. That's just one of the things people are complaining about the Sheepshead Bay banya.
2) As you correctly pointed out, you know little about what a true Russian bathhouse is all about. Comparing Korean bathhouses to Russian banyas is like comparing dog eating with dog grooming. Your complaints are rather pathetic. Yes -- we do provide a personal lock box for storing your valuables at the front desk as a free service to our patrons. That's in addition to a regular locker downstairs. Instead of complaining about that, you should be thankful. Now, why complain about the baby stroller? We do not discriminate against children and infants, so naturally you would see a few children here and there in our place. If we did discriminate, we would rather ban people like you who sniff around our employee-only basement instead of enjoying the steam in the common area. We also do not discriminate against fat people. You saw a fat man downstairs, so you felt like whining about that in your review as if we are at fault. Fat people are also entitled to some happiness.
3) Another day, another idiot. She states she has never been to our facilities, but then she is dumb enough to still write about us. We will make sure she never enters though. Step inside and you will be fly out faster than a soccer ball.
4) Maybe people like you deserve to break their necks in the shower. Come and get your $10 and don't cry like a baby about being cheated
5) 80% of the Travel Zoo clients are begging us for more deals. But only the cheapest losers complain about the deeply discounted $24 deal that includes a three course lunch and one day admission.
black and blue is not my idea of fun – After a deep tissue massge, I was left black and blue. Two weeks later, I am still experiencing pain. I have taken photos in case there was permanent damage, but thought the least I could do was post a review to warn others. On top of that, day pass services weren't nice either. Jacuzzi had scummy film on top, steam room never stopped steaming, so you had no relief, etc.
Best Russian banya outside of Russia – After reading all the reviews here I decided to write my own to clarify the confusion among the negative reviewers.
First of all, this place is not a typical "spa" where you get your nails done. Spa88 is a Russian banya first, then everything else. 'Banya' generally means a sauna or steam bath. A unique characteristic of a Russian banya is a procedure that many people refer to as "platza". It's the revitalizing beating experience with bundled birch and oak leaves. Another essential component of a good Russian banya is in the quality and temperature of the heat inside the steam room. Spa88 offers all those components: stone steam room, sweltering heat, and if that's not enough -- go for 15 minutes of scalding platza mixed with freezing cold plunge. Do not go to Spa88 if all you want is to get your nails done.
Now, is Spa88 clean? It's cleaner than most banyas I have visited in the Soviet Union and then in the Russian Federation.
What else can you find at Spa88? Turkish steam room, infra-red room, Finnish sauna room, juice bar, swimming pool, jacuzzi, tanning booths, a VIP room with billiards and another jacuzzi there, a smoking room (never used it - I don't smoke), massages, facials, etc.
My usual Spa88 day: (1) start with the main Russian banya room, (2) then the cold plunge, repeat that 15-20 times, finish up at the Russian restaurant on the second floor.
not good.. at all – I used to go to Spa 88 when I was in college a decade ago. Must not have cared back then about things like service and facilities. Went back this past weekend and realized this place was awful then, and is STILL AWFUL NOW. Their changing rooms are the wosrt I have seen in spas on this caliber. They were understaffed, repeatedly ran out of (dirty and stained) towels, and again, have the WORST facilities.
WILL NOT COME BACK until they renovate and start caring about their clients.
If you have a car, check out BRC Sauna in Jersey. That's how you run a banya.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Spa 88 on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.